Friday 13 April 2012

Sex pistols Design.


This page is going to feature the question ‘ Which band were dropped from their record label after a controversial appearance on the ‘today show’ in 1976? ‘ in a ransom note type face with a defaced union jack background.

When developing my design I started with the back ground and tried a few different ways of creating it.
This method was to paint a union jack in water colours and smudge it as I go along and also to add black ink to it. This didn’t seem clear enough and also was a little boring so I then moved to use a different method and also chose to distress the outcome more.    
One way I tried was by using pastels on paper to draw a union jack, throwing ink onto and then rip it up so it was more distressed then my previous attempt. I didn’t like the way this turned out I seemed a little bit childish and didn’t get across the sense of aggression that the sex pistols used. And it was this point that I decided that to create artwork like the sex pistols had I would have to use the same method.







To do this I bought a union jack flag and began to throw paint and ink onto it and then took a photograph and out this into Photoshop. Once I had it arranged in the position that I wanted it looked a little too bright and happy so I used the filter ‘Dark Strokes’ to make the image darker and also to give it a more graphic artwork feel to it rather than just a photograph.


Before photograph.
Process

After Editing.


I then downloaded a few different ransom note typefaces and alternated them while writing out my question. 

Final Design.

The typographic style and image were kind of dictated by the band I was using to base the question around as I wanted to try to create my own a version of Jamie Reid’s artwork. The reason why I chose to use a grey typography colour is because it stands out from the background images and contrasts well.




No comments:

Post a Comment